Boulder Airsoft & Brigade Milsim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome!

Optimized for Google Chrome, Droid and iPhone users.

Thank you for coming the the Forum of Boulder Airsoft.

Create a free account, and start interacting with other airsoft players in the Colorado area.

You can check out our home page at www.boulderairsoft.com

Like us on Facebook

Boulder Airsoft Home Facebook Instagram
Forum Flickr Brigade Facebook

Current Weather in Nederland CO
Find more about Weather in Nederland, CO
Click for weather forecast

Magpul ACR Limited Edition

+2
Grizzly
Twitch
6 posters

Go down

Magpul ACR Limited Edition Empty Magpul ACR Limited Edition

Post by Twitch August 3rd 2011, 19:20

MAGPUL ACR LIMITED EDITION

Gun Specifications:
Barrel Length: 14.5” 14mm clockwise threading
Velocity: 370fps with .20g Matrix Bio, 340fps with .25 Matrix Bio
Rate of Fire: 22.7 rounds per second
Battery used for testing: 11.1v LiPo
Gearbox: Version 3

Features:
CNC Machined Aluminum Upper Receiver with unique serial number
Quick-Detach Barrel Change System
Quick Change Spring System
Polymer Lower Receiver & Hand Guard
Integrated Flip-Up Front Sight & MBUS Flip Up Rear Sight
Ambidextrous Fire Selector, Magazine Release, and Bolt Catch
Fixed Stock with Adjustable Cheek Rest
Capture pins on all take down points

First Impression:
Upon opening the box I found the rifle resting neatly in a custom cut foam casing. The box included; (1) ACR, (1) MBUS Rear Sight, (1) 120rnd PTS M Series PMAG, and (1) Polymer 5.56 Tool Round , (1) Instruction Manual, (1) Warranty Card, and (1) Instruction DVD (Containing an electronic version of manual, Magpul Dynamics trailers, and background images for your computer or phone).

Externals:
Upon removing the ACR from the box, it is immediately apparent the quality in build. It is the same size an the actual ACR. While the ACR has a solid weight compared to other AEG’s on the market, it is noticeably lighter than a real ACR. Magpul did not go easy on the trade marking of this rifle. Their logo is stamped in numerous places, including texturing on the grip and magazine well.

The lower receiver is made of the same polymer plastic as the real rifle. The sizing of the components such as the grip are consistent with the real ACR.

The upper receiver is aluminum. It also has trademarks, and includes a unique serial number.

There is a plastic piece, which serves no function other than aesthetics, which is attached to the ejection port of the weapon. This piece is not well attached and may fall off. You can remove, or super glue this part.

Internals:
The Magpul PTS ACR Masada comes with a Version 3 gearbox. The gearbox houses 16:1 ratio steel gears, allowing a high rate of fire. The gear box uses 8mm bushings, the sector and spur gear has double channel steel bushings and the bevel gear has 8mm sealed bearings.

There is one noticeable problem with the internals of the gearbox, and that is the piston. It comes with a clear polycarbonate piston. I have read reviews of this failing, and physically breaking apart. I took my chances, and after only about 4,000 to 5,000 rounds, the piston broke. There was no sign of wearing on the teeth, despite using an 11.1V battery. The piston physically broke apart, with the back half inch coming free. Luckily due to the construction of Magpul’s gear box this was an easy fix.

The stock M110 spring has an irregular pitch, this is to minimize any “twang” or “ping” sound coming from the gun. This gun does not emit that sound. The ACR allows easy access to the spring, and it is feasible to be able to change the spring in the field as needed. To do this it would require only a hex wrench and a flat head screw driver.

The trigger contains a micro switch. This allows for a crisp trigger pull and immediate response. The trigger requires very little pressure to activate, and is responsive to short 3 round bursts once the operator figures out the timing. The ACR is wired to the front, and the battery is placed in the hand guard. There is no fuse used in the ACR.

The inner barrel measures 6.01mm with a digital caliper.

Performance:
Out of the box the ACR shoots 370-375fps with .20g Matrix Bio BB’s, and 335 to 340fps with .25g Matrix Bio BB’s. The rate of fire with a Tenergy 11.1v 1600 mah 20C LiPo is around 22-23 rounds per second. The hop-up can be adjusted, however is limited in its capabilities. .20g BB’s will climb with adjustment, .25’s will fly straight at maximum adjustment. .28’s will not respond well to the hop-up in the ACR. This can possibly be remedied by installing a different bucking and nub.

Magpul ACR Limited Edition Acrchrono

The PMAG 120rd magazines feed flawlessly with the ACR. You will not be able to fire the last 4 BB’s, and they will drop from the gun when you change magazines, as is customary with most AEG’s. The PMAG’s have almost no wiggle when they are seated in the magazine well. I have had two PMAG’s jam and fail to feed, but due to the design of the PMAG, disassembly and repair is very very simply. That can be covered in another review.

Function:
The Magpul PTS ACR Masada uses a mini-Tamiya connector. The maximum dimensions for a battery in the ACR is; 17mm thick, 37mm wide, and 203mm long. You can go slightly thicker if you remove the barrel detachment bar.

The fire control like most AEG’s the ACR has safe, semi, and full auto and is ambidextrous. I found the fire control to be very familiar if you are accustomed to the standard M4 function, or have any experience with an actual Bushmaster ACR.

The ACR has a few great features;
The first excellent feature is the take down of the weapon. The ACR is fully equipped with capture pins. As mentioned above with the piston failure. This happened in game. I was able to do a complete weapon teardown and piston replacement in under 20 minutes. And that was my first time opening up the internals on the ACR.

The ACR is fully ambidexterous. The charging handle can be easily moved to either side of the weapon, and all controls, including the magazine release, fire selector switch, and bolt release are in the same place and can be manipulated on both the left and right side of the gun.

The ACR allows a quick barrel change. This is done by removing the hand guard, flipping down the barrel detachment bar, and giving it a quarter turn counter clockwise. To re-install, simply reverse the process. Magpul PTS is beginning to offer various barrel lengths, which would be useful if you want a longer barrel for field applications, or a shorter barrel for CQB.

In the interest of CQB, the fixed stock can be easily replaced with a folding multiple position stock made by Magpul PTS. This is also completed by removing two capture pins, sliding one stock out, and other stock in place, then pushing the pins back into place. The process can be done in under 30 seconds.

As mentioned above you can also do a quick field change of the main spring if you wish to increase or decrease the FPS your ACR is firing. Due to the ACR having a highspeed motor, I would not recommend putting a spring stronger than an M120 (190%). The spring is held in place by a two part system. The first being a slotted hex screw. This can be removed with a hex wrench or a flathead screwdriver. The second being a guide mechanism which can be removed by inserting a hex wrench and giving a one quarter turn. You would then repeat these steps to re-install. You would be able to do this in the field provided you have the appropriate tools with you.

Cons/Fixes:
The biggest con being the poor quality of the piston in this gun. Having the piston break apart after only 4,000 to 5,000 rounds is unacceptable. If you purchase this gun, purchase a replacement piston and have it on standby. It is a simple replacement if you have a moderate knowledge of the workings of a V2 or V3 gearbox.

Second, would have to be the factory bucking. It simply can not handle BB weights higher than .25 This is also an easy item to replace.

Third would be the stock orange flash hider. It is superglued in place and very difficult to remove. The method I have found most effective is to remove the barrel from the gun. Boil a pot of water, remove the pot from the burner. Place the barrel, flash hider end in the pot of hot water. Allow it to soak for 20 minutes. Then using a wrench you can unscrew the flash hider from the barrel.

Final Thoughts:
If you have any experience with Magpul Industries, you know that anything Magpul makes is quality. There are some knock off “Magpul” products on the market like those made by A&K, and King Arms, avoid them. If it is genuine Magpul, you are good to go. While the ACR is not perfect, it is close. There are a couple simple fixes and issues to be aware of. For the money, it is an excellent weapon.

Last edited by Twitch on August 19th 2011, 20:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Twitch
Twitch
Brigade Commander - Operations Manager

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Magpul ACR Limited Edition Empty Re: Magpul ACR Limited Edition

Post by Grizzly August 9th 2011, 15:17

Whats the cost for an Magpul ACR?
Grizzly
Grizzly
Brigade Operator, Fire Team Zulu

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch August 9th 2011, 15:20

Alpha wrote:Whats the cost for an Magpul ACR?

Typical retail is $480. If you watch for the right sales you can get one in the ballpark of $370.
Twitch
Twitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote August 9th 2011, 16:40

/drool...
Coyote
Coyote
Master Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Bones August 9th 2011, 17:19

Coyote wrote:/drool...
Agreed
Bones
Bones
Staff Sergeant E-6

Back to top Go down

Post by Arusheon August 19th 2011, 20:33

This is possibly the most thorough reviews I've ever seen, very well done sir!

I recently bought my Magpul ACR this summer (around June) and after replacing the stock hop-up bucking with a Systema bucking(around $7 on evike or airsoftgi) and have had amazing results. With GB .25s I can accurately hit a man sized target at 200'. I believe I can get even better accuracy .28s and I'm very confident you can even use .3s no problem.

Arusheon
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch August 19th 2011, 21:23

Arusheon wrote:This is possibly the most thorough reviews I've ever seen, very well done sir!

I recently bought my Magpul ACR this summer (around June) and after replacing the stock hop-up bucking with a Systema bucking(around $7 on evike or airsoftgi) and have had amazing results. With GB .25s I can accurately hit a man sized target at 200'. I believe I can get even better accuracy .28s and I'm very confident you can even use .3s no problem.

And believe it or not, with a burst of fire, you can reach out to approximately 500 feet and connect with a hit. There are several witnesses to this.
Twitch
Twitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Arusheon August 19th 2011, 21:44

I want to say I believe that, but I hold judgement until I see it lol. Hopefully you can show me Sunday...

Arusheon
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote August 19th 2011, 21:52

I am a witness to the 500' kill. I got one myself at the same time.
Coyote
Coyote
Master Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat August 19th 2011, 22:05

The kill was from an high position firing into a group but it did take place.

Coyote was using a KWA SR10 also a great gun.

I also have the ACR and have found it to be great. I can easily modify it for every game type allowing me to always have a gun I can be proud of on the field.
TheRedThreat
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down