Welcome!

Optimized for Google Chrome, Droid and iPhone users.

Thank you for coming the the Forum of Boulder Airsoft.

Create a free account, and start interacting with other airsoft players in the Colorado area.

You can check out our home page at www.boulderairsoft.com

Like us on Facebook

Boulder Airsoft Home Facebook Instagram
Forum Flickr Brigade Facebook

Current Weather in Nederland CO
Find more about Weather in Nederland, CO
Click for weather forecast

Experience with HPA?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Experience with HPA?

Post by moist on June 17th 2014, 22:06

Hey there guys, long time airsofter but relatively new to Boulder here... I've recently been looking into an HPA conversion for one of my GBBR M4s, and I'm curious if anyone has experience that they can share. 

The gun I'm thinking about converting is a G&G CM16 Raider-L GBBR.

My main questions:

Has anyone else here converted to HPA, and what can you share from your experience?

Are there any opinions on the HPA conversion with G&G guns? I heard that HPA could improve longevity of a gun, but I'm looking for more claims to back that up. The CM16 isn't the most durable gun, so I'm wondering if I should wait till I get a LM4 PTR or similar to do the conversion.

Does anyone have experience refilling HPA canisters around Boulder - whether for airsoft or paintball? The closest place I found to fill them was Broomfield, but I'm curious if there are other close places (I live right in Boulder).

Lastly, [alyan airsoft dot com] has the current HPA conversion I'm looking at. They emailed me back confirming that they could to the conversion on a G&G magazine. For a single hi-cap, it's 80 pounds (~$150). Still trying to decide whether that price is worth it - both overall, and for my GBBR which only cost about $170 in the first place.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice, and hope you all have a good night.

moist
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Re: Experience with HPA?

Post by TheRedThreat on June 18th 2014, 14:36

Im not familiar with HPA systems but I know tipman just made an Airsoft gun that might be worth looking at.
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by moist on June 18th 2014, 20:34

Thanks for the tip, man..... 

I'm actually really interested in this, though from some other airsofter discussion, people seem kinda pessimistic. I haven't been able to find a release date either. The biggest selling point in my opinion is the ability to use co2 mags in addition to an HPA line. My sidearm uses 12g co2 canisters, so I've already got cases lying around.

moist
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat on June 18th 2014, 21:19

Yup.  It sounds interesting.  I heard stories about polar star guns getting longer range than any spring can push.  But I have also head about dangers too.  Do your homework sir and keep us in the loop with what you find out.
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch on June 19th 2014, 00:36

There are some dangers, but if you do it right, buy the right equipment and maintain it properly it can be a good system.  

Make sure you get your tank hydro-tested and certified every two years.  This tests the integrity of the tank, it's walls and valve.  Having a 4,500 PSI tank explode when it's next to your body or head can kill you.  If it blows off of you and goes flying it can hurt or kill someone near you.  I have seen tank explosion first hand and while the person lived, they were injured.  

A tank getting dropped or shot is not going to cause a detonation, but slamming it into something, falling on it (specifically at the valve point) can compromise the integrity of the system causing failure.  

If you go HPA and every travel by air to a national op, they will require the tank be empty prior to air transport, so check ahead for a filling station.  

On a side note, the LM4 is a hell of a gun.  KWA makes excellent products, and the LM4 is certainly one of them.  The kick is nice for a GBB, comparable to shooting an AR, .22 conversion.  The mag's are supposed to be able to handle cold weather and still deliver.
Twitch
Brigade Captain

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by moist on June 19th 2014, 10:57

Well, after a beer too many last night, I said f*ck it and preordered the Tippmann M4. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted when they finally release it and I get my hands on.

Twitch, your safety advice is much appreciated. I haven't ever dealt with HPA before, so it's good to know there are precautions that need to be taken.

moist
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat on June 19th 2014, 16:06

Looking forward to seeing it in action!
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum