Welcome!

Optimized for Google Chrome, Droid and iPhone users.

Thank you for coming the the Forum of Boulder Airsoft.

Create a free account, and start interacting with other airsoft players in the Colorado area.

You can check out our home page at www.boulderairsoft.com

Like us on Facebook

Boulder Airsoft Home Facebook Instagram
Forum Flickr Brigade Facebook

Current Weather in Nederland CO
Find more about Weather in Nederland, CO
Click for weather forecast

Spring rifle inner barrel work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spring rifle inner barrel work.

Post by Tango on April 19th 2011, 22:18

Hey guys, I was looking through my box'o'chunks at some of the spare parts I have and found that the inner barrel assembly from my full length AK fits into my short 'spetz' AK with my 'silencer' attached with very little modification. My question is this, I'll have to cut and then re-crown the new end of the barrel, does anyone have the tools to do this, or have done it before and can suggest a method? I have several sets of files and could probably do a reasonable job on my own by hand but I want it to look really sharp as I'm aiming to make this into a DMR Carbine sort of rifle.

Thanks in advance,
-=Tango=-

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring rifle inner barrel work.

Post by Admin on April 19th 2011, 23:14

If you're just looking to cut down an inner barrel, I can do this. I cut down a barrel for my M4 using my bench grinder and it worked fine.

Hit me up if this is what you're looking for.
Admin
Forum Administrator

http://www.boulderairsoft.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on April 20th 2011, 07:40

@Admin wrote:If you're just looking to cut down an inner barrel, I can do this. I cut down a barrel for my M4 using my bench grinder and it worked fine.

When you cut down that barrel did you re-crown the muzzle, or just buff out any teeth after the cut and leave it as it was? I could cut it on my own and buff/brush out any leftover after the cut, but I was curious as to whether re-crowning the muzzle is necessary or beneficial in some way?

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on April 20th 2011, 11:18

tangodeltabravo wrote:
@Admin wrote:If you're just looking to cut down an inner barrel, I can do this. I cut down a barrel for my M4 using my bench grinder and it worked fine.

When you cut down that barrel did you re-crown the muzzle, or just buff out any teeth after the cut and leave it as it was? I could cut it on my own and buff/brush out any leftover after the cut, but I was curious as to whether re-crowning the muzzle is necessary or beneficial in some way?

I did not re-crown the barrel. As far as I can tell crowning does not make a difference as long as you have a flat and even cut at the end of the barrel. If not it, it will effect BB direction and accuracy.

Yes you will need to remove any burrs. I used a steel gun brush and a medium then fine grit sandpaper.
Admin
Forum Administrator

http://www.boulderairsoft.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on April 20th 2011, 11:42

Fantastic, thanks for the tips. Now that all of my questions are answered and worries gone, time to get to it.

Thanks so much for the help!
-=Tango=-

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Update.

Post by Tango on April 27th 2011, 19:21

Just finished cutting down the barrel and installing it, when I took it apart I realized that the 2 mainsprings I had were not the same, so I put the beefier one in from my old full size AK. At the moment the hop-up is being finicky, but I'm sure it'll calm down after I put some plastic downrange. I have now decided to name this franken gun, 'Comrade Stubz' I'm hoping that it lives up to my expectations.
-=Tango=-

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch on April 28th 2011, 01:11

Awesome!

I completed a little project tonight too... ;-) Pictures coming soon.... KA-BOOM!
Twitch
Brigade Captain

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on April 28th 2011, 12:21

Yep, and while I was on a role, I did some work on my M324 as well, Came out with some noticeable improvements in FPS and hopefully accuracy as well.

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch on April 28th 2011, 12:24

Excellent! What did you do to it?

Last edited by Twitch on April 28th 2011, 13:19; edited 1 time in total
Twitch
Brigade Captain

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on April 28th 2011, 12:59

Not much really, just the "Teflon Tape" Mod. I also added a spacer to the spring guide to get a bit more power out of the stock spring.

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango on April 30th 2011, 20:50

tangodeltabravo wrote:I have now decided to name this franken gun, 'Comrade Stubz' I'm hoping that it lives up to my expectations.

Sad news... My inner barrel is kaputnik. I am going to go back to my old inner assembly so that I have a working rifle. Although, Товарищ Окурок (Comrade Stubz) is still my #1. Stupid thing is I cant tell if its the hop up, the barrel or the piston, but my feeling is its the hop up assembly.

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top