Welcome!

Optimized for Google Chrome, Droid and iPhone users.

Thank you for coming the the Forum of Boulder Airsoft.

Create a free account, and start interacting with other airsoft players in the Colorado area.

You can check out our home page at www.boulderairsoft.com

Like us on Facebook

Boulder Airsoft Home Facebook Instagram
Forum Flickr Brigade Facebook

Current Weather in Nederland CO
Find more about Weather in Nederland, CO
Click for weather forecast

New person questions

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New person questions

Post by Twitch on August 5th 2013, 22:32

Start with something small. When we're doing public games they are usually on the smaller scale and are posted here and on our Facebook page.

There are also events regularly held at other venues as well. There is a small field that is good for starters out at Tactical Airsoft in Boulder.

For now, avoid anything with "Operation" in the title until you get yourself adjusted and squared away with gear. Those are typically the more intense Milsim events. Don't get me wrong, they can be fun, but you want to go into them knowing what you're doing, and being prepared. Our team trains all year with the emphasis on specific Operation events coming up that we are attending.

While I'm thinking of it, a key piece of gear to get is a hydration pack (Camelback type system.) Most of us use a MOLLE system that can attach to our tactical vests. A 3 liter system is good. You always want to have water on you. When in the field you should be drinking 8 to 12 ounces per hour (often more during heavy extertion.)

If you want gear idea pictures we have a bunch of pictures at http://photos.boulderairsoft.com

Twitch
Brigade Captain

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ApexX on August 5th 2013, 22:52

Ok ill keep that in mind. Ill give the camelback that I got for hiking a try.

What brand/ model of radio would you suggest?

ApexX
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch on August 5th 2013, 23:03

Our team requires our members to use the Puxing 888D or Puxing UV973. These are higher end radios. They are programmable to work with the standard bubblepack radios that most airsoft players use. Here is a thread with a boatload of information on these radios: http://boulderairsoft.forumotion.com/t1611-puxing-px-888-uv973-radios

If you're looking to do casual/close range type of stuff, most bubble pack radios will work. Midland and Cobra make good budget radios. Generally most airsoft games (including the larger Operations) use the standard channel 1 through 22 available on the bubblepack radios.

The main disadvantage for the casual user for using Puxings is they are a pain in the ass to hand program. It's much easier if you have a programming cable, the software and the knowledge on how to do it. Our team PC programs all of our Puxing radios to avoid the hand programming hassle.

With the bubblepacks, there is no programming, but your range is extremely limited (don't believe the "up to 35 mile range" hype, it won't happen with bubblepack radios.)

Brigade Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by ApexX on August 6th 2013, 13:27

Ok so I've been looking at grenades and claymores as well and I was wondering about some things.

1: Is trip wire activation of such devices allowed?

2: Do you ever use various smoke colores for signaling

3:I couldn't find any rules surrounding sonic grenades, excluding flash bangs. Are their any restricions on their use?

This is the gear that I was looking at getting to start am I missing anything blatantly obvious. Sorry it won't let me post links for another 6 days.

CQR MOD1 :Rifle

Goggles:vented fully sealed. It says they exceed the impact rating that is specified on the sight.

6 Extra magazines

Face-mask: full face neoprene

Ammo: .20g Elite force

Radio: found one of the bubble pack ones that should work

I already have a set of the marine Marpat fatigues that I can use, and a good sized camelback.

ApexX
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch on August 6th 2013, 13:56

Trip wires are not allowed at many of the bigger events.  It's really a case by case basis, but generally, the answer will be no, primarily for safety reasons.  

We do not use colored smoke for signalling.  Our team uses Sport Smoke Tactical Smoke Grenades, and Battlefield Smoke Grenades for concealment purposes.  These can also be restricted by burn bans, or by certain fields. 

Flashbangs are pyrotechnic, and may or may not be allowed by the venue / event host.  Most players will instead carry the Thunder B grenades are they are non-pyrotechnic, and most fields (with the exception of indoor fields) allow them.  Be careful with them as they can hurt you if they go off while you are holding them, or if you are carrying them improperly and one detonates next to your body.  I have seen injures such as bruising, and lacerations from accidents involving these. 

I would avoid a neoprene mask simply because it will get really hot.  If you get a mesh mask it will ventilate, and actually provide better protection.  Function before fashion. 

Consider some type of vest/plate carrier and pouches to hold the equipment you are buying.   

To give you an idea of gear I had on me at the last game (and I'll try to remember everything) and not all is necessary, but each item has it's purpose and is used at appropriate times, and keep in mind, I participate in the large scale events, so I carry most of this for the practice and to be fully adjusted to the weight and balance. This is a comprehensive list of my normal load out:

(1) FAST Jump Helmet
(1) Helmet Bungee
(2) E-Lite's
(1) Contour HD Camera w/mount
(1) HL1-C Helmet Light
(1) ESS Turbofan Goggles
(1) Strike Metal Mesh Mask
(1) CIRAS Force Recon Vest
(1) 3 liter Hydration Bladder w/Pouch
(8) FastMag Gen3
(9) Magpul PTS 120rd Mid Cap Magazines
(1) Magpul PTS ACR, with Aimpoint replica M3 Optic
(1) Custom 550 Sling
(1) Thigh Rig
(1) Dual Flashbang Pouch
(2) Thunder B grenades
(1) Dual 40MM Pouch
(1) Red Lazerbrite, with dome
(1) Red Dead Rag
(1) Radio Pouch
(1) Puxing UV973 Radio, with speaker mic, remote antenna and earpiece.
(2) Tactical Smoke Grenades
(2) KWA ATP Magazines
(1) KWA ATP Pistol 
(1) Streamlight TLR-1 Flashlight
(1) Safariland 6280 Holster
(1) Large Pouch
(1) Medical Shears
(1) Microfiber Cloth
(1) Whistle
(1) Cammenga 3H Compass w/pouch
(1) Belt
(1) Leatherman Multi-tool
(1) Streamlight Stinger LED Light
(1) Cellphone pouch
(2) USGI Knee Inserts
(1) ACU Massif Top
(1) ACU Trousers
(1) Pair Converse C8894 Boots
Team patches, and moisture wicking under shirt, shorts & socks.

Brigade Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by ApexX on August 6th 2013, 14:13

Hmm that's good to know about the neoprene. Makes sense though my wetsuit gets hot even in cold water.

For the sonic grenade though I was kinda thinking something along the lines of a siren. I know my friend had one in a nerf war we had and it wound up making it impossible to talk and giving everyone in the house slight to medium vertigo.

I think I can probably get a plate carrier from Jax sporting goods.

ApexX
Private E-2

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top