Boulder Airsoft & Brigade Milsim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome!

Optimized for Google Chrome, Droid and iPhone users.

Thank you for coming the the Forum of Boulder Airsoft.

Create a free account, and start interacting with other airsoft players in the Colorado area.

You can check out our home page at www.boulderairsoft.com

Like us on Facebook

Boulder Airsoft Home Facebook Instagram
Forum Flickr Brigade Facebook

Current Weather in Nederland CO
Find more about Weather in Nederland, CO
Click for weather forecast

Budget radio recommendations?

+2
Twitch
SpraynPray
6 posters

Go down

Budget radio recommendations? Empty Budget radio recommendations?

Post by SpraynPray June 10th 2012, 08:49

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 2 way radio set on a very tight budget?

I stumbled across these http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/motorola/motorola-mr350r.aspx

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

SpraynPray
Private

Back to top Go down

Budget radio recommendations? Empty Re: Budget radio recommendations?

Post by Twitch June 10th 2012, 19:21

Looks like the radio you listed is around $60. I will try to keep things around or below that.

The Boulder Brigade Operators use the Puxing PX-888D radios. We have had great experience with them, and get excellent "real life" range.

While some radios advertise up to 35 miles in range, that is simply not realistic, and you will see these radios fail to penetrate the woods and mountains beyond 500 to 1,000 feet. These radios, like the type you listed, are commonly referred to as bubble-pack radios.

The advertised 35 miles, is in ideal conditions, from one mountain top to another, in clear weather, with no humidity, both being held perfectly upright, with fully charged batteries, and nothing (such as trees, buildings, rocks, etc) between on radio and the other.

The Puxings we have had luck communicating from Boulder (28th/Yarmouth) to Louisville (42mm Highway 36) (7.4 miles,) from 104th / Sheridan to north of 136th / I-25 (5.5 miles.) And that is while in vehicles, meaning you are surrounded by a signal inhibiting metal frame of the vehicle.

The Puxing 777 operates in much the same fashion as the Puxing 888D, but is a little more basic in its features. It uses the same power output, many of the same components, and replacement parts should something break.

The Boulder Brigade team currently owns one Puxing 777 and has had equal success using it.

The Puxing Models need to be programmed by hand (or laptop). The instructions can be found online, and I can post the frequency / CTCSS (subchannel) tone list if you desire.

The Puxing 777 is $66.80: http://www.radioshop888.com/radioshop_product.php?id=102049

The Puxing 888D is $76.30:
http://www.radioshop888.com/radioshop_product.php?id=103076

If you are looking to go with a "bubble-pack" type, here are a few, but also I would make a post and see if any members with bubble-pack radios have upgraded to an above listed radio and are interested in selling theirs. Might save you some money.

The Cobra CXR925 is $61.16:
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CXR925-35-Mile-22-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B0035PMH1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339377139&sr=8-2&keywords=cobra+radio

The Midland GXT1050VP4 is $68.98:
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1050VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WM73P0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339377283&sr=8-4&keywords=midland+radio

Remember, you get what you pay for, and communications equipment is a critical piece of equipment when you are out in the field, especially if you get separated or are attempting to communicate with someone on the other side of an AO.

I would strongly recommend one of the Puxing Models, but again, it takes a little practice to learn the programming unless you spend the extra $10 to get the cable, and download the free programming software.

I'm sure some of the other members on here will voice their opinion as well, but that is what I have to say.
Twitch
Twitch
Brigade Commander - Operations Manager

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat June 11th 2012, 08:02

Get the Puxing 888D. In addition to what Twitch listed above you will find a ton of replacement part options and upgrades so you can make your radio so much more than just a push button chatter box. Also if you break your screen for example it is a $3-5 replacement as opposed to buying another radio for $60+. The puxing 888D can be programed with secure channels, can broadcast further and be modified to broadcast even further still with a few mods. If you buy a cheep radio you will likely want to upgrade your performance later and will need to buy a whole new radio. Just get the Puxing 888D and have a quality radio you can use for years if you care for it. The Brigade looked at a lot of radio options before we chose the Puxing 888D.
TheRedThreat
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Miner June 11th 2012, 09:27

I'd have to disagree with purchasing a PX-888D. For our purposes of having predesignated channels that are programmed in, it works great, but if you needed to quickly switch to another channel outside of what is programmed, you'd be out of luck since it does not use standard GMRS/FRS channel designations in its menus. For what you are looking for, the Cobra or Midland Radio that Twitch linked above would be a much better option
Miner
Miner
Master Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by SpraynPray June 11th 2012, 09:28

Thanks for all the detailed feedback so far guys. I really appreciate it.

SpraynPray
Private

Back to top Go down

Budget radio recommendations? Empty Puxing 888D

Post by WhiteOut18 June 23rd 2012, 10:39

Can the Puxing 888D accept adapters?

WhiteOut18
Private

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitch June 23rd 2012, 10:45

Yes. It takes the 2 prong Kenwood style mics and accessories.
Twitch
Twitch
Brigade Commander - Operations Manager

http://www.brigademilsim.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat January 23rd 2013, 20:07

I have a few of these radios and I have got to say they kick ass and have done so from day one up to present which is almost 2 years now.
TheRedThreat
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango January 23rd 2013, 21:26

NECRO POST...

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat January 23rd 2013, 21:33

This is an old topic but I wanted to add some follow up for those who might be interested in getting a good radio.
TheRedThreat
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Tango January 23rd 2013, 21:37

Could have just suggested that threads such as this one with ongoing relevance be made sticky, or be put into a sub board. Or just BUMP it every couple weeks. Waiting 7 months looks really odd to me.

Tango
First Sergeant E-8

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedThreat January 23rd 2013, 21:40

Good suggestion
TheRedThreat
TheRedThreat
1st Lieutenant O-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down